Dressmaking – Undergarments – Part 1

Having spent most of yesterday learning the ins and outs of my new sewing machine, I began in earnest on my project today, starting with the undergarments. Today’s project was the chemise. I found the pattern to be simple, although I did not add the optional sleeves or trimmings. After pinning and cutting out the pieces, I bound the neck and armholes, and then sewed up the sides. Although there were a few mishaps, like sewing too far or accidental sewing two wrong pieces together, I was able to fix them. I still have to hem the garment.

The drawers pattern looks more complicated than I can manage, so I will move on to the bustle and petticoat tomorrow.