Dressmaking – Undergarments – Part 3

The bustle is not going as fast as I would have liked, but it should be done by tomorrow. Yesterday I sewed the upper portions together. The back part required 1″ single fold bias tape for the narrow channels that hold the hoop bones. Of course, JoAnn had no such thing. Luckily, I was able to get the last package of white, 1″ twill tape instead. Using the twill tape was a joy, as it was so easy to sew to the skirt. Again, measuring and marking where the channels went took far too long, but in the end it was done, and with only a little bit of tape to spare.

Today I pleated the flounce part of the skirt to fit in the upper part. My pleating skills have much to be desired, as there are portions of dense, tiny pleats and sections with no pleats. It looks very asymmetrical. Still, it shouldn’t matter too much, and I don’t think I need to re do it. The later pleating into the waistband was much easier, but there was also less fabric to pleat. I meant to finish that today, but I need to go back for larger hook-and-eye closures and larger thread for that fixture. I also need to finish the flounce overlay.

I went back to JoAnn earlier in the day to get the actual fabric for the bodice and skirts, but I managed to pick up a bunch of lace. Lace is good for hemming; it hides the unevenness of the hem. Trimming is also very Victorian.