Dressmaking – Skirts – Part 2

The overskirt of the dress, made of shiny yellow polyester, is done and hemmed. This skirt actually was easier than the underskirt, as I did not have the tension problems of the underskirt. The front apron is made of three pieces, a front and two pleated sides. The back is made of a large square of lined fabric, pleated into the waistband and then covered with part of the sides of the apron. The back possibly should not have been lined with muslin, but it came together easily.

I will possibly add lace to the hem of the overskirt, as a trimming. This will showcase my character’s attempt to appear uppercase, as fashions in the Victorian era followed the uppercase, while the lower cases tried to emulate the upper.

Overskirt1Overskirt2Overskirt3

1. It is good to see visuals of your progress this summer, Carolyn.

2. Rebecca Turner says:

Wow! You have clearly put an astounding amount of time into this dress. I was wondering–and I’m sorry if you answered this explicitly elsewhere–what character is this costume for, and from what play?

Also, a fabric question: how crucial is it to use period-accurate fabric when making a costume? I really enjoy all the times you say “if the audience can’t see it, it isn’t there” with regards to seams and things–a tried and true method!–and I was wondering if modern synthetic fabrics provide a close enough approximation to period materials (like satin, maybe?) that it doesn’t matter.