Final Post

Well, I finished the first stage of my project back in June. I studied 20 poets and wrote a total of 59 poems. For the past week, I have been editing the poems that I saw potential in. There are 28 of those, of varying styles and for various purposes. Some of them I intend to look for publication on online journals and whatnot, some of them I will stick to publishing myself on my own blog, and some of them are just very personal poems that I don’t want to share with the world just yet. I think my artistic poems were centered more at the beginning and in the middle. Close to the end, my poetry started becoming much more prose-like, but still very honest. Most of my best poetry is free verse, but I do have a pantoum and an ode that I really liked, as well as some rhyming poetry that turned out well. I also think I could turn one of the poems into a spoken word performance, which I was not expecting at all.

I couldn’t come out of this project without having a favorite poet, and that would be either Pablo Neruda or Emily Bronte, with Maya Angelou definitely up there. It was fun, learning about the lives of people so vastly different from each other but who all shared a passion for words. One of the things I wanted to do with this project was emulate strange habits of the poets I was reading. However, most of the habits that I was able to find were ones I could not emulate, so that expectation was not realized. However, the poets definitely did inspire poetry that would not have existed if I hadn’t followed one of their themes or even smaller ideas.

I still wouldn’t consider myself a poet (I even wrote a poem about that), but I do consider myself a writer with poetry as one of the media I use. I did improve as a poet, but I still think I could become much better if I put the time and effort into disciplined poetry writing in the future. I think more than anything, this project put me into the habit of tapping into my feelings and putting them down on paper to see instead of just letting them sit in my head. I had more to say than I realized I did, and putting those messages into words will enable me to share them with other people.

1. baacors says:

It sounds like you have really grown as a writer due to this project, Brianna! Did you solely write from your own perspective, or did you ever assume a different character to narrate any of your poems? Also, did you deal with any specific subjects that you were less familiar with, and if so, how did you approach them?

2. I really only wrote as myself. I know poets often write from different personas, but I think I would find it really difficult to distance myself in a significant way. But I also did not try it, at least not intentionally, so maybe I should try to do that some time.
    I did not write many poems on subjects I was less familiar with, because again, I wrote mostly as myself. On the day I studied Sylvia Plath, however, I delved more into a trying-to-help-someone-with-depression-type of attitude. And I did think that I would want to check with people who have had depression (or been suicidal) before showing them to people so that I would not unintentionally be hurtful with my words. I edited them so that they would be less pointed towards depression and suicide, but I still may check with someone. But my approach is still essentially to write as myself, just with extra fact-checking.

3. kjtalbott says:

Hi Brianna, I loved reading about your project! I think in the last post you said you struggled a little with free verse, but I was glad to see that now you’ve found some of those to be your favorites. That being said, even though it might have been easier to write poems for poets you really found yourself connecting with, did you ever surprise yourself and end up with a piece you really loved even when you didn’t necessarily feel yourself connecting with the poet?

4. While I don’t think I loved many of my poems for the poets I really didn’t connect with, I definitely have some favorites from poets who weren’t my favorites, like Charles Baudelaire and Emily Dickinson. I only wrote one poem on the day I studied Dickinson, mostly because I just didn’t know what to write. Her poetry didn’t spark my own quite as instantaneously as some of the others; I didn’t quite connect with her emotions as much. But then that one poem ended up being my favorite of all of the poems I wrote all summer.

5. Hi Brianna!
    What a cool project, and it sounds like it was very successful! I would be interested in reading some of your poems sometime (only those that you are willing to share, of course). I think that I would have trouble coming up with new inspiration for 59 different poems, did you ever find yourself stuck with writers block or writing about the same subjects over and over again? Did you have any habits or tricks to find fresh inspiration? I really enjoyed reading about your project, thanks for sharing!