Microexpressions and More

Since the certification exam was a greater time commitment than expected I will continue working with Dr. Schug this fall semester to re-code videos from past subjects as well as coding new videos for newly developed projects. After completing CITI Human Subjects training as well as microexpression reading training using the Microexpression Training Tool, also released by the Ekman group, I will submit an IRB proposal to analyze the effect of daily technology use on people’s ability to read microexpressions themselves as a follow-up project to my summer research with the Facial Action Coding System.  Although I am actively pursuing a career in medicine rather than psychology research, I believe my knowledge and skills concerning facial coding will benefit me in a clinical setting with being able to detect emotional nuances in face to face interactions with patients. I highly recommend that any psychology majors interested in learning more about FACS and microexpressions in general to contact Professor Schug to join her lab group that discusses FACS and how to code facial muscle movements.

1. emschneider says:

Hey Kathy! What you did this summer seems really cool and I’m really interested to know how your research project turns out in the future. I was just wondering what your hypothesis was for how daily technology use affects people’s ability to read microexpressions. I think it’ll be really interesting to find out what level of technology use inhibits the ability to read people’s microexpressions and see if you really have to be buried in your phone all the time to be worse at it or if it could just be that a tiny bit of technology exposure inhibits your ability. Or maybe you’ll find that it has no effect or that it even helps since we see so many pictures of people on our phones. I was also wondering if you think the inability to read microexpressions could lead people to be less empathetic because their mirror neurons wouldn’t be firing. I look forward to hearing more about your research!

2. Hi Kathy!

It’s so cool that you’re certified to read microexpressions now. I think that will come in handy when you’re talking to people everyday. I think something interesting to include in your future research would be the effect of different types of technology usage on people’s ability to read microexpressions. For instance, would someone who exclusively uses a cell phone differ in his ability to read microexpressions compared to someone who plays a lot of video games and does not use his cell phone much? I think it might also be worthwhile to consider social media in your analysis. For example, would a person who uses snapchat, twitter, and Facebook show differences compared to someone who uses computers and a cell phone but does not use social media? Overall, I think your research on micro expressions is very cool and I hope I can see your progress with it during the year.