Abstract – Optimization of Tribe Pathways

With my freshman research project, I propose to create a program that will use data from the walkways on the William & Mary campus to calculate the shortest route from one point to another based off a set of conditions. These conditions will allow users to avoid specific paths per their limitations or desires. Examples of these conditions would be paths with stairways in them, unpaved walkways, or paths that go through forested areas. The program will allow students to select a starting point, an ending point, and to decide which kind of pathways they want to avoid or include before calculating the shortest path they can take based on the remaining walkways. To calculate the shortest route, I will be implementing Dijkstra’s Algorithm into python. This algorithm will calculate the optimal path on a graph of connected nodes based on distance. I hope to help students who are new to campus, those that cannot use stairways or other potentially difficult obstacles, or anyone who wishes to find a faster path to class.

1. RASHKEYROV says:

I am really excited to see the results of your project – I constantly get lost around campus (believe it or not) or am late to class. I’m not familiar with the shortcuts in our school at all. Also, kudos for thinking about accessibility! Will the program be on the computer or do you plan on creating an app as well?