Abstract: An Analysis of Spanish Perspectives on Donald Trump upon Examination of the Media’s Rhetoric and Cultural Representations in Cádiz, Spain

Following the recent election of former business tycoon turn President of the United States, Donald Trump, political tensions in the United States are at an all time high. The recent United States presidential election has seen an increase in political polarization between Trump supporters and Trump opposers. However, this political divisiveness over Donald Trump is not limited to within United States borders. The win of President Trump has sparked an international debate over what it means to be fit for office. This Summer in Cádiz, Spain, I will examine and analyze cultural and political representations of Donald Trump to gain a larger understanding of Spanish perceptions of President Trump. To do this, I will examine Spanish articles, televised news sources, newspapers, graffiti, song, poetry etc., mentioning Donald Trump, taking into account any potential bias and the political leaning of the creator. It is my opinion that the recent Spanish Civil War and accompanying Franquist dictatorship will cause even the more conservative leaning Spanish citizens to have a less than favorable opinion on President Trump. Throughout my research this summer, I will attempt to prove this theory with my research.