Single-Sided NMR of Paint Films After Climate Cycling: Post 1

Days 1-2

I spent much of the past two days learning to use instrumentation. I learned to use the NMR magnet to take standard measurements of the paint films, and how to process the data in Matlab to find T2 times. After some technical issues, Professor Meldrum and I connected the climate chamber to the computer and figured out how to program it for an overnight cycle. I also learned how to take small paint samples from the slides using a razor blade to use in calorimetry measurements.

The rest of my time I spent taking initial T2 measurements of the paint samples. I have access to a set of paint samples, with one slide of traditional oil paint, and one slide of water-mixable oil paint in each pigment, which were made in 2015. T2 times are related to the cross-linking in a sample, and therefore its brittleness. The T2 times for water-mixable oil paints were greater than the T2 times for traditional oil paints for each pigment. This means that the traditional oil paint samples have more cross-linking, and are more brittle. Qualitatively, the water-mixable oil paint samples are noticeably glossier than the traditional oil paint samples.

Pigments 001 (alizarin crimson) and 095 (Grumbacher red) in both traditional and water-mixable oil paint were placed in the climate chamber overnight, and brought to a low temperature and humidity. Tomorrow I will take NMR measurements on these samples to see if there is any difference in the T2 times.

Water-Mixable Oil Paint Samples