El americano no deseado: an Analysis of the Negative Opinion of Donald Trump among the Spanish Media (Post two)

In my last post, I gave a bit of introduction to my research, and some of the twists and turns along the way, including a change in theories for the overwhelmingly negative opinion of Donald Trump in Spain. In this post,  I will discuss the reasoning behind my new theory.

During my research, I realized that many of the articles that mentioned Donald Trump were in the context of three popular themes: the environment, his foreign relations and policy, and his unique character. However, many social topics were omitted; such as the restriction of arms, police violence toward african americans, welfare, and health insurance. In the United States, these issues are much more prevalent in the newspapers and media than I ever saw during my time in Spain. But why? The answer to this lies in the findings of my research.

The United States has always been considered behind in social issues. Even under the Obama administration, many european countries, including Spain, gawked at our lack of progressiveness in terms of gun control, health insurance, welfare, and even police violence. However, under the Obama administration, many european countries applauded our advancements in environmental protection efforts, our diplomatic foreign policy and the charismatic and calm demeanor of Barack Obama. Therefore, It should come to no surprise to Spain that the newly elected president of the Unites States still retains a relatively conservative social policy in comparison to many european nations. However, it comes as a shock to Spain that the 45th president of the United States does not support environmental regulation and reform, has seemingly close ties to Russia, and a character many would describe as impulsive. All three of these characteristics of the Trump administration are areas in which the Obama administration differed drastically. Therefore, I propose that it is not the comparison of Donald Trump to Franco that has sensationalized Trump in Spain, but the comparison of Donald Trump to his predecessor, Barack Obama.

In my next post, I plan to highlight a few of the sources that were used to support this claim and I will examine future routes for research.

1. elpollard says:

Hi Caroline! I just read your first two posts, and your project sounds really interesting! I like how you combined knowledge of Spain’s past history and culture with modern events and opinions to form the Franco theory. And I admire that even though that first theory did not work out, you persisted and came up with a new one.

I’m impressed that you read so many articles, and I’m curious how you chose which newspapers to read. You mentioned that you looked at both right-biased and left-biased ones. I know that it can be harder to recognize subtle political bias in a language and culture you’re less familiar with, so did you first do background research on which Spanish newspapers lean which way? Also, did you try to pull about half of the articles from right-leaning papers and half from left-leaning, or did you focus on getting articles from the most popular, most read newspapers? Essentially, I’m interested in hearing how you balanced diversity of opinion with pervasiveness of opinion.

Another thing I wondered was, how do Spain’s views fit in with the rest of the world’s views on Trump, and by extension, the United States? In this post you seem to be saying that most European countries are put off by America’s perceived lack of social progressiveness. Do you think your new theory would therefore hold up in other Western European countries? On the other hand, did you read any opinions during your research process that you thought were specific only to Spain?

I’m look forward to reading your next post and finding out what your plan for future research is! Do you think you may expand to more Spanish speaking countries? And on that topic, is there a reason you chose Spanish media and not, say, Mexican media? Finally, if you are ever considering posting a picture of one of the cartoons, please do! I’d love to see a Spanish political cartoon and how you analyzed it!