Lab Session 2 – Summer Conclusion

At the conclusion of the second lab session, I am able to look back and evaluate what progress I have made on the projects in the Young Lab. For my PRMT project, I have accomplished a few key items: I successfully created plenty of PRMT WT, synthesized ONBY on a 500mg scale (although the viability of my product has yet to be verified), and learned the process of de-protection and irradiation (de-caging). While I still have a lot of work to do, I have learned enough about the project and the background knowledge that I am well-prepared to continue this project throughout the school year. As for my dimerizations, the timecourse and ligand trials I completed helped the more experienced students in the lab with their projects (which they are currently writing about). My time assisting older students in the lab also gave me the chance to experience the scientific process of projects other than my own.

What I gained from this summer cannot be accurately gauged based on my quantifiable results. These past ten weeks have allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of the research process and lab methods by which results are derived. Although it is frustrating to come out of the lab with few to no meaningful results, more experienced students and professors have assured me that this is the point of freshman year in the lab – learn the techniques, learn about the projects, and learn how you can contribute. This learning can then be applied in subsequent summers, hopefully to produce meaningful data for the lab. The basis of knowledge I now have will allow me to do exactly that!


  1. Hey Rebecca!
    I think it’s great that despite the frustrations, you’re able to look at what you’ve learned as the success of your project. I also didn’t end up with he same final product that I thought I’d have going in, but learning methods and from “failures” can be just as useful (and sometimes more so) than having an easy conclusion. I’ve been following along with your posts, and I’m looking forward to hearing about the project as we go into the school year!