Putting It All Together

I am pleased to report that the data I have gathered has shown an enormously positive collective attitude towards outdoor recreational experiences, and an equally overwhelming interest in pursuing further experiences.

I chose to dedicate a part of my survey to exploring different types of obstacles an individual can encounter in pursuing outdoor, active experiences. I found that the four most common disincentives checked by participants were: “I have a disability that I feel will keep me from succeeding,” (137 responders); “I don’t know how to participate in the outdoors,” (133 responders); and “I don’t know how to participate in outdoor activities,” (130 responders). Other common obstacles were based on geographical and financial difficulties.
These results particularly fascinated me in that (based upon my findings) what keeps people from engaging in outdoor recreational opportunities is not necessarily a lack of interest, but often a deficit of specific resources (time, confidence, knowledge, adaptive equipment, proximity, etc.).
Reinforcing these results, when asked what could be done to help responders participate more often in outdoor activities, the three most common responses were as follows: “Provide more recreational areas closer to my home,” (47.1% of responders); “Provide cheaper recreation opportunities,” (44.1% of responders); and “Provide instructions or lessons suited for my own skill set,” (39.7% of responders).

Another interesting area of results was the open-ended portion of the survey, where in roughly 20 words, participants were asked to explain why they keep returning to their favorite outdoor activities. While there were many similar responses, I was gratified to receive so many thoughtful, differing comments.

I have thoroughly enjoyed closely examining the data provided by my survey, and I look forward to breaking it down even more for the final presentation.