Rafael Alberti’s Poetry: First Update

After arriving to Cadiz, Spain and meeting with the organizing professor, I realized that I had to shift the scope and subject of my research. For one, I had initially planned on reading much more of his work than time actually allowed. I have now limited myself to one of his most famous poemariosEntre el clavel y la espada (Between the Carnation and the Sword), and to a short collection of poetry, Sonetos para la Diputación de Cádiz (Sonnets for the Deputation of Cadiz). The first collection represents Alberti’s works immediately after the Spanish Civil War, and the second, Alberti after a long period of exile. I own a copy of Entre el clavel y la espada, and am working on finding the sonnets, and plan on checking a rare book store this week. 

I will also be shifting my focus away from Alberti’s poetry strictly as a response to Francoism, and instead focus on his changing relationship with Cadiz and Spain. I was inspired by an academic article titled “Rafael Alberti in Post-Exile” by Sandra Barriales-Bouche of Suffolk University, who described his relationship with Spain as difficult to regain after nearly four decades of exile. Considering that I will be living in Cadiz, his birthplace and home, I want to explore that aspect of his life. Time has been limited here in terms of actual research due to taking two classes alongside my research, but I have been exploring the city, which I like to consider research!

Cosastline of Cadiz, Spain

Much of Alberti’s later work reflects on the natural beauty of Cadiz, specifically the ocean.