Socioeconomic Status and its Impact on Child Health: Update 1

As I started my research I quickly came to the realization that this was a much broader topic than I anticipated. I hoped to generally cover the impact of socioeconomic status (SES) on child health, but I realized this is not practical given how much research has been done on this topic. Consequently, I have chosen to research the impact of stress on child health with a focus on impoverished communities. I will compile my findings via a paper and photos.

For my paper I used databases and found academic papers whose abstract seemed to fit my topic. After selecting a fair amount of papers, I started reading and weeding out those that were not relevant. The papers I had left focused on either the impact maternal background and behavior can have on child health or childhood poverty and the adversity and stress associated with it. Using the results and conclusions of these papers I will compile my paper and expand the findings to the Rochester area using photos.

In order for the audience to more fully understand the photos, I will give background on the Rochester area in the paper. To do this I am using various publications from local companies and organizations to help describe the city for those unfamiliar with it. After a background has been established, I will use pictures to visually show stressors and assets that are impacting those who live in Rochester. I aim to use these pictures in a way similar to a photo-voice. A photo-voice is where community members take pictures to highlight assets or disparities they see in their community. They will sometimes write a short description of the photo to further describe what they see. This process allows for the pictures from a community member to be seen in a similar way by an outsider. Because I live outside of the City of Rochester, I do not believe this can be counted as a true photo-voice but hopefully the pictures will still be impactful.

This topic of stress and child health is important because poverty affects people all around the world and stress, especially that faced in childhood, has the ability to sustain the poverty cycle and contribute to  generational poverty.

1. ecsnyder01 says:

I’m interested to see where this research goes as it’s somewhat related to what I’m looking into (the achievement gap). Some of the research I’ve read has indicated that non-school factors, like stress, contribute to the achievement gap by affecting low-income and minority students more. I do wonder how you would define stress. Clearly, it’s a broad term and children can experience stress from all sorts of different stimuli. I’m sure you’re going to cover this but I’m just curious to see what you’ll unearth. Do you know if there are any solutions that have been tested and/or proposed in regards to this problem? I know that the US doesn’t have an astounding social welfare history compared to other Western nations, but it seems as if this would at least catch the attention of community groups or local governments. Seems like you’re doing an awesome job, can’t wait to read more!