August Update 1

Please follow the provided link to my post:

http://honorsfellows.blogs.wm.edu/2015/08/06/august-update-1/

Post 3: Research Summary

I spent the final part of my research preparing the experiments explained in the second post. The results of our shape similarity experiments in post 1 could not be depended on as luminance values for stimuli and display were poorly calibrated. In response, we purchased and utilized tools to calibrate the display monitor and the luminance of the stimuli for our emotional priming experiments. I ran through the first two behavioral experiments and preliminary results seem to support our hypotheses. Trials with repeat priming are faster than those with no priming across each SOA and within each context. We will begin running our experiments in the coming weeks as SONA opens up.

[Read more…]

Post 2: Emotional Priming Studies

For the latter portion of my research period, I have begun work on a new study to be conducted in the fall. The study is comprised of six experiments that I am programming, test running, and analyzing before testing on subjects in the fall. The experiments are programmed and run using Neurobehavioral System’s Presentation software. Upon become proficient using the software, I programmed the six experiments and below is an outline of the various conditions and constraints of that programming.

[Read more…]

Post 1: Shape Similarity Studies

I spent the initial part of my research analyzing data collected in the spring. Data was collected from 25 participants aged 18-22 years who signed up through SONA and were given credit towards an introductory psychology class as compensation. All subjects were tested for color blindness and found to have normal color vision. As mentioned in the abstract and background information, the study examined how shape similarity between a target and a salient distractor and the distance between the two affect visual selective attention using a target-decoy search task.

[Read more…]