Lab Session 2 – Summer Conclusion

At the conclusion of the second lab session, I am able to look back and evaluate what progress I have made on the projects in the Young Lab. For my PRMT project, I have accomplished a few key items: I successfully created plenty of PRMT WT, synthesized ONBY on a 500mg scale (although the viability of my product has yet to be verified), and learned the process of de-protection and irradiation (de-caging). While I still have a lot of work to do, I have learned enough about the project and the background knowledge that I am well-prepared to continue this project throughout the school year. As for my dimerizations, the timecourse and ligand trials I completed helped the more experienced students in the lab with their projects (which they are currently writing about). My time assisting older students in the lab also gave me the chance to experience the scientific process of projects other than my own.

[Read more…]

Lab Session 1- Summer Progress

Working in a research lab is overwhelming, frustrating, and draining. I do something wrong nearly every day, spend hours repeating the same complicated procedures, and almost never achieve my desired results. Despite all that, these past two weeks have been an irreplaceable introduction to what undergraduate research really is. I learn something new each day, and get closer to being self-sufficient in the lab setting with every new procedure.

[Read more…]

Blog #1: Optimizing Organic Synthesis

When I arrived at school this summer to begin conducting research in the lab, I originally intended to explore chemical synthesis with the microwave, a tool that is widely used in the biosciences to decrease chemical reaction times and increase product yields. I proposed optimizing click reactions, which are reactions that effectively connect two large molecules through a quick and stable mechanism. After talking more with my advisor, my focus shifted.

[Read more…]

Working with Dansyl Chloride-Labeled Glutathione, Blog Post #3: Wrapping It Up

Hey, everyone! It’s been a good while since I wrote my second blog post, and it’s actually been a couple of weeks since I finished working in Dr. Landino’s lab for the summer. During the interim I’ve been gathering and organizing data from our experiments up to the eighth week of the summer (a period extending from May 31 to July 20): this includes creating data tables detailing our experimental concentrations and fluorescence intensity results as well as organizing our photographed images and notes into a long slideshow. At present I’m working on creating a final, large data table that displays the general results and reactivity trends we observed over the summer; the table will make developing a display for the Freshman Monroe Grant project exhibition a much simpler task.

[Read more…]