As far as I am concerned, the bustle is done. I still need to hem it and add a ruffle to the bottom, but everything else is fun.
The bustle is not going as fast as I would have liked, but it should be done by tomorrow. Yesterday I sewed the upper portions together. The back part required 1″ single fold bias tape for the narrow channels that hold the hoop bones. Of course, JoAnn had no such thing. Luckily, I was able to get the last package of white, 1″ twill tape instead. Using the twill tape was a joy, as it was so easy to sew to the skirt. Again, measuring and marking where the channels went took far too long, but in the end it was done, and with only a little bit of tape to spare.
I spent the morning hemming the chemise. I can’t tell how good a job that was; I do know that it was not enjoyable. The entire thing seemed to trust in fate. The sewing itself was not the problem, although the bobbin did run out of thread near the end. The problem was trying to get the hemline straight.
Having spent most of yesterday learning the ins and outs of my new sewing machine, I began in earnest on my project today, starting with the undergarments. Today’s project was the chemise. I found the pattern to be simple, although I did not add the optional sleeves or trimmings. After pinning and cutting out the pieces, I bound the neck and armholes, and then sewed up the sides. Although there were a few mishaps, like sewing too far or accidental sewing two wrong pieces together, I was able to fix them. I still have to hem the garment.