Update 2 – Optimization of Tribe Pathways

Since the last update, I have gathered all data needed to create a map of campus. Working with the timeline I set up at the beginning of the project, it would not be feasible to map the entirety of campus. Instead, I spent two days on campus walking paths and recording data for a smaller section of the map. I made sure to include all different kinds of path features in the area I selected and that the area was used enough so that the program could still be useful. Adding the rest of campus would not require changing anything or adding new features, only inputting more data. This choice was based off of time constraints and not technical difficulty.

[Read more…]

Update 1 – Optimization of Tribe Pathways

At this point in time, I have finished coding the core structure of the algorithm in python. Given a point on a map, the program will output the shortest distance from the start point to every other point on the map and record the path it takes to get there. For the next step in the project, I hope to organize the single script into a class with multiple functions contained within it. I have tested the algorithm enough to be certain that it functions correctly, but there may be some bugs in the programming I have not yet encountered. There is also a fair bit of optimization that could go into the program and there needs to be an easier way to input map data. That being said, with the small sample graphs I have been using, the results are almost instantaneous.

[Read more…]