Summary (Finally!)

At the beginning of this summer, I set out to answer quite a few questions, all about the name erasure of the 25th dynasty of Egyptian pharaohs. We had briefly touched on this and other erasures in my 2-semester long Deciphering Ancient Egypt course, taught by my research advisor Professor Jeremy Pope.¬†Large numbers of statues and monuments from the 25th dynasty Kushite Period are damaged. This erasure is often attributed to the Saite (26th dynasty) Psamtik II as a campaign of damnatio memoriae,¬†permanently erasing someone’s name, and thus memory, from the public record.

[Read more…]

Third Cinema and Politicized Art Summary Post

Hi all!

I have finished writing my paper and have turned it in! Overall, I am happy with how the project turned out. I settled on the title “Lessons From Third Cinema,” as the common thread between the various moving parts of the project, I realized, was discerning what lessons could be taken from the ideological claims and methodological recommendations of the Third Cinema project, ranging from my inquiry into aesthetics regarding politicized art to very practical considerations about the effects of creating art via¬†collaboration as opposed to on an individual basis. I was happy to explore all of the aspects of Third Cinema that initially intrigued me when I read about them in class.

[Read more…]

Final Post: How’s William and Mary doing?

The final product for my research project was initially going to be an ideal study abroad program that could be used as a guideline to improve current William and Mary programs. The only problem with developing an ideal study abroad program is that it will not always be feasible for implementation.

[Read more…]


Hi all,


My research this summer was about personality testing, and my primary purpose in conducting this research was to create a website detailing the structure and scoring of four different personality tests as well as assessing their reliability and validity based on the findings of existing research. The four tests I chose to study were the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, the Eysenck Personality Questionnaire, the Myers-Briggs Type indicator, and the revised NEO personality inventory. Of the found that the NEO-PI-R was the most widely supported by psychologists, but a direct comparison of the four tests is difficult because they serve different purposes– the MMPI, for example, is used in clinical settings to analyze psychopathology, while the MBTI is used mostly in business settings today to determine the motivational styles of employees. The implications of the wide reach of personality tests are numerous, but one thing in particular that concerned me is the fact that in many companies, the MBTI is a required test for all employees and can sometimes affect whether and employee is hired and/or promoted, but its reliability and validity have been seriously questioned by many psychologists. As a whole, personality tests are useful, but there are many people who trust them implicitly to accurately categorize human personality, and my research has shown me that this is rarely the best course of action.

[Read more…]