2 – Modern Day Parallels re: Egypt vs Sudan

Hey guys! I realize I am a bit late with all of these updates – so they’re all coming at once instead of one by one when I actually did the research. That being said, here is part 2 of my research,concerning hostilities between Egypt and Sudan, and if they might be at all connected to the conflict between the 25th and 26th dynasties.

I’ve concluded that this erasure conflict may have set a precedent for the rest of Egyptian/Sudanese history, but is in no way directly related to what is going on today. Incidentally, Egypt-Sudan relations have somewhat cooled today, and they are no longer in open conflict. Unfortunately, the many Sudanese refugees in Egypt from the recent civil war do face higher levels of police violence and discrimination, but there is no way to connect that to names being erased back in the 6th century BCE. Sometimes, you think you have a brilliant idea, and then are forced to recognize that over 2000 years of history in between is just too long to support an unbroken connection such as the one I suspected. Since the 25th dynasty was from Kush (modern day Sudan), and the 26th was from Sais (northern Egypt), they were bound to fight over the land in between them. These were, however, conflicts of rule and disputed territory, which became buried in the sands of history as new dynasties took over. The name erasure I studied only occurred about 75 years into the 26th dynasty, not immediately after the transfer of power as you would expect if it was a more personal vendetta. This time gap can be explained by the fact that when the erasure occurred, there was a threat of a Kushite dynastic resurgence, and the Saite kings wanted to ensure their names were erased from the public record so that they couldn’t garner any form of public support for their cause. This is similar to previous name erasure in Egyptian history (Hatshepsut specifically, if you’re interested). How, where, and how many times these names were erased is the subject of my 3rd post, and arguably the most interesting part of my research.

The reason I had the idea that the two time periods could be related is that on the facade of the Egyptian museum here, marble plaques commemorate every dynasty except the 25th. While this is in part explained by the fact that the museum was built in the early 20th century shortly after a war with Sudan, (Egypt was still under British rule at the time) it is telling that the plaque is absent to this day. However, while it may sound similar at first, there is little threat of a Sudanese coup of the Egyptian government, and I have concluded that this omission is more of a combination of lingering pettiness and lack of funds to squeeze a new plaque into the facade and still make it look uniform. Although relations can be contentious today, geographic location and the influence of foreign rule more than history seem to be more influential in Egypt-Sudan conflict than an unbroken strain of anti-Sudanese sentiment specifically.